Saturday, December 1, 2007

Manjushri Project

I have just learned that the Manjushri Project would like to partner with me to put on a touring version of "picture of you: Images from Iran." How wonderful! This brings "pictures of you: Images from Iran" a full-time staff of four, and the help of many additional members.

The collaboration of the Manjushri Project opens up a long list of possibilities that I have been only imagining until now. The Manjushri Project will assist me in finding venues, financing, and additional collaborators, but will leave the artistic vision up to me! I have already explained to them that in my mind, the venues, financing, and every other piece of the project IS the art of it, as much as my photographs and the ideas that I am hoping to express.

Are you wondering where their name comes from? You're not alone! Manjushri is a Buddhist deity who cuts through illusion to reveal the truth. He does this in order to allow all beings to achieve enlightenment. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manjusri

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My friends are in Denver protesting the DNC and just called me excitedly. They were standing in front of your installation, were totally awed by it -they said that the beauty of the photos and their translucent quality are so powerful that the installation must come to New York(we live in Manhattan). For two years at every demonstration, I have worn laminated photographs of my family (in Iran) and many people have asked to wear them also. The organization World Can't Wait has enlarged them to use when speaking on Iran, so we know that this is effective in educating an ethnocentric and ignorant population like ours about other cultures and countries. I have over 150 relatives in and near Tehran in great peril from the murderous policies of the US.

Is there anything we can do? There is a small activist Iranian community here who might be able to help.

Thank you for doing this.

Ann Shirazi